The simple act of pressing these six points resets the body’s subtle energy layers to allow health and wellbeing to flow easily. Just one minute of acupressure on key points unblocks your meridians. Use gentle yet firm pressure with either middle finger or thumb on these 6 points. Massage in a circular motion for 10 seconds and breathe deeply. As you press, your brain releases endorphins, chemicals that calm pain and invite pleasurable feelings. Your muscles relax and blood flows more freely. As tension recedes, the body finds balance, and you’ll feel better. These are 6 top points that most people desperately need every day.
- DU-1, DuMai 1 or Huiyin at the bottom of the torso.
- KD-1, Kidney 1 or Yongquan, Gushing Spring on the bottom of the foot.
- BL-1, Bladder 1 or Jingming, Bright Eyes, the inner corner of the eyes.
- SP-21, Spleen 21 or Dabao, Great Embracement, on the sides of the ribs.
- SP-6, Spleen 6, or Sanyinjiao, Three Yin Intersection on the inside of the lower legs.
- LI-4, Large Intestine 4, or He Gu, Joining Valley, on the back of the hand just above the thumb.
- DU-1, Du Mai 1 or Huiyin at the bottom of the torso. Yep, it’s down under there. This is the first and most important point to massage, also known as the perineum, a band of muscles between the sex and anus. It is also the starting point for three extraordinary meridians, the Du Mai, the Ren Mai, and the Chong Mai. Massage with your middle finger deeply and feel it relax. Do it in the shower, and you’ll feel relaxed all day!
- KD-1, Kidney 1 or Yongquan, Gushing Spring on the bottom of the foot. It’s about one third of the way down your foot, a slight depression at the base of the metatarsal.Massage deeply with your thumb or middle finger for about 10 seconds. Breathe! If you feel pain, drink it in and say thank you!Kidney 1 point is the beginning of the Kidney meridian and the foundation of your Jing, your energy resources. This is critical to your energy level, as the Kidneys provide Qi to all your other meridians.
- BL-1, Bladder 1 or Jingming, Bright Eyes, the inner corner of the eyes. Massage both sides with your middle fingers for about 10 seconds. Breathe!The BL-1 inner canthus of the eyes affects the pineal and pituitary glands. BL-1 is also an intersection point on the Qio Mai extraordinary meridians it is also the activating point of protective Wei Qi, the first point you move on waking from sleep. These channels affect how your eyes adjust to light, your blood-sugar level, body temperature, blood pressure, hormones, etc.The Yang Qiao Mai – Yang Heel Vessel rules how we stand up to the world, extend ourselves, interact with and experience the world. It represents the internalization of our interactions and how we express it back out to the world (eyes). The Yin Qiao Mai – Yin Heel Vessel rules how we stand up to ourselves. It is about taking on roles with clear vision, understanding the vast potential of life. Our eyes both take in the world, and express out to the world who we are. We realize that the greatest gift we can offer is our true self.
- SP-21, Spleen 21 or Dabao, Great Embracement, just in front of the arm about a hand below the armpit on the sides of the ribs. It is usually tender, and exacerbated by bra under-wires. Massage with the middle fingers for 10 seconds on both sides.SP-21 helps to strengthen and balance left-right sides of the body and brain. It connects to the pancreas, liver, and digestive system, so it helps stabilize blood sugar levels, digestion and PMS symptoms.SP-21 also relates to our ability to receive unconditional love from our mother as a child, and to receive love from the universe as an adult.Caffeine and coffee cause damage to SP-21, acting like False Qi in the body, which stagnates the SP-21 nerve periphery, leading to high blood pressure, agitation, depression, heart palpitations. Slow damage from just 1 cup of coffee per day may take years for the negative effects to show up.
- SP-6, Spleen 6, or Sanyinjiao, Three Yin Intersection is located on the inside of the lower leg, one hand up from the ankle bone protrusion. Massage with the middle finger for 10 seconds.This is one of the most versatile and effective points for balancing the whole body, because it crosses the Spleen, Kidney and Liver meridians.Massaging this point can relieve pain and improve many conditions associated with all three organs. It’s an important point in the treatment of any digestive, emotional, or gynecological issue.Stimulating SP-6 strengthens the Spleen and Stomach, dissolves dampness, harmonizes the Liver, strengthens the Kidneys, nourishes Blood and Yin, regulates menstruation, cools and invigorates the Blood, vitalizes the urinary system, and calms the Shen – Spirit.
6. LI-4, Large Intestine 4, or He Gu, Joining Valley, on the back of the hand just above the thumb.
Pinch this point with your thumb and middle finger of the opposite hand and massage for 10 seconds. Reverse hands and repeat.
Massaging LI-4 relieves pain and clears stagnation, by strongly increasing the flow of Qi through all meridians, especially the Large Intestine meridian. It can resolve pain anywhere in the body and release many issues including headaches, neck-aches, toothaches, eye pain, sore throat, nasal obstruction, abdominal pain, and constipation.